A. A. Hart 1870 Railroad Map from San Francico to Chicago via the CPRR, UPRR, & Burlington Route. [Click Map to Enlarge.]
"The CB&Q in Omaha Before 1898: The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad, serving the Midwest since it's founding in 1850, entered Nebraska
in 1870, through its predecessor subsidiary,
the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad. The line eventually stretched
from Chicago to Colorado and Montana, linking the vast crop, cattle and mineral
producing west with eastern markets. In Nebraska, a substantial network of
branch and main routes were developed that became vital to the local economy.
The Burlington also handled the mail through this area from 1884 to 1972. The
railroad (today known as the Burlington Northern Santa Fe) remains today as
a major provider of transportation in of Omaha and Nebraska. ... A Burlington
Station has been located on the same site in Omaha since 1878. The first Burlington
station in Omaha opened on October 5, 1870, and is described
as 'at the end of the plank road at the foot of Jones Street.' The
approximate location was Third and Jones and the Omaha and South Western built
it. The Burlington & Missouri River Railroad leased it from the O&SW
in July 1871. The second station between 7th and 8th streets was built after
the completion of the Union Pacific's Missouri River Bridge (1873) and was
to the Union Pacific depot. It utilized the tracks on the south side of the
depot while the UP used tracks on the north side. The Burlington & Missouri
River built its third station on Tenth Street, south of the Union Pacific 'cowshed'
depot. Opened in December 1878, it was described as a modest-sized brick building
trimmed in white stone with
a slate roof built in Gothic style architecture. The shape of the depot was
somewhat irregular and the dimensions were approximately 34' x 68'. It was
divided into a ladies waiting room, a men's waiting room, a baggage room, and
ticket office. A 100-foot platform was constructed east of the depot."
Text from "Omaha's Burlington Station: The Past, Present, and Future." by Gerald Kopiasz and Eric Miller, Courtesy Railway Preservation News, ©RyPN, June 7, 2002.
Note: The Library of Congress also has a copy of this map on which credit to A.A. Hart and his copyright have been crudely deleted: